I think that reading through the gospels on a regular basis should be a consistent part of our discipleship. It’s in the gospelswhere we really meet Jesus and get a clearer picture of who he is and what he teaches. All scripture is written for our benefit and no verses are more important or more inspired than others. But there are some powerful verses that stand out and remind us of the most basic elements of our faith.
I’ve picked ten of Jesus sayings that I think are helpful. Learning these verses and getting them deep into our spirits will build us stronger spiritually. I tried to rank them in order of importance but really couldn’t. So I just offer them for your consideration.
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. The second most important is similar: Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself. Matthew 22:37-39
- Your sins are forgiven. Luke 7:48
- The thief’s purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness. I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10:10,11
- For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Mark 8:35,36
- Don’t hide your light! Let it shine for all; let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise your heavenly Father. Matthew 5:15,16
- Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31
- So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time. Matthew 6:34
- I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew 11:30 (The Message)
- But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. – Matthew 6:33
- By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John13:35
What sayings would you add?